Monday, July 28, 2008

2008 Season Officially Over!

Can you believe it? The season is finally over for everyone involved. Hopefully everyone learned something they didn't know about football and more importantly themselves. In order to grow, each player coach and owner must grow first. And for that to happen, one must realize that there is always something to learn and improve. I learned a ton about myself this year. Being my first as a Head Coach, I was challenged everyday and second guessed every decision I made. With a year under my belt, I know that I can be better. I offer this to those that will have me as their coach.

It was a very long season indeed and mine was extended through my new radio show on Wednesday nights, 3rd & Long. This show will continue throughout the year with football talk. Each week I will have different subjects to cover. Hopefully, everyone will enjoy what I have to put out there. I have been around women's football for a long time and have lots of information to share. Because of my involvement in the sport and the new radio show, I decided to travel to the championship games in the IWFL this past weekend. That was a great decision and I want to thank my better half, Kara and Cat (owner of the Quake) for talking me into going. I was treated great by all of the members of the IWFL executive council. I informed the league that I would be attending and we came to an agreement that I would help out where needed. I did help out but not nearly as much as I thought I would have to. Because I wasn't really needed during the games, I was able to help out in the booth with teaching the clock operator how to run the clock, spotting for the PA announcer and getting detailed info to the web announcers on the teams playing. The web announcers, Pete and John with Scott spotting for them, and I talked at halftime of the first game and decided to put me on the sidelines for a sideline reporter. I may have been a bit aggressive in requesting this but seeing as they didn't know much about the teams playing (albiet Chicago) and didn't see everything, I pushed the envelope. I think it worked out great as I was able to throw what I saw out there for people to hear. I didn't get to hear most of the broadcast but heard through various people listening that technical difficulties were there; unaware to anyone in the booth.

Needless to say, but I witnessed to great games against two evenly matched opponents. The funny thing part is that in each game one team used passing to move the ball while their opponent focused mainly on running the ball. I will have a detailed synopsis of each game this week and hope to have some guests comment on their experience at this game.

As for the NWFA championship game, it looked to have been no contest with H-town up 26-10 at halftime and eventually winning 39-10. Disappointing that the game wasn't close but I am sure that the heat and weather had an effect on the way the game was played.

Now that the 2008 Season is over, we can officially start the silly season. And actually silly season didn’t even wait until after both leagues had finished their respective seasons. The Philadelphia Phoenix will now be known as the Firebirds and have relocated to the IWFL. I am sure there is a bunch more yet to happen, including the starting new leagues, which I find completely asinine. I will get more into that as it will be one of my many hot topics to cover during the off-season.

No comments: